Burle Marx Fantasy is also known as Philodendron Imbe. It has outstanding foliage that has made it popular among plant lovers. It is a hybrid plant with a rich appearance ideal for your home decor. However, despite the unique nature of this plant, you must know the best tips you need to grow and care for the houseplant to health. Read till the end to find out some juicy details about the Burle Marx fantasy.
Among Philodendrons, the Burle Marx fantasy stands out as one of the rarest and most fascinating. It is a hybrid plant with green and grey hues with green veins in its foliage. Also, this interesting houseplant grows in clusters, and the leaves are shaped like a heart. Even the leaf plate is shaped like an arrow, which provides an eye-catching corrugated effect. If you want to share this plant with family and friends, you can easily propagate it.
This Philodendron plant is highly adaptable, and you can find it growing in different parts of the world. They are more common in the West Indies and other tropical areas across America. They grow on river banks, rock tops, and even on roadsides. In saturation, they grow above sea levels by up to 20 meters.
The origin of the Philodendron Burle Marx Fantasy can be traced to South America and Brazil; you would find it in tropical areas. This Brazillian native plant was named after Robert Burle Marx, a conservation artist. Although this plant is an exquisite one, it is still one of the slow growers.
- Despite its appealing aesthetics, the Burle Marx Fantasy is toxic because it has an amount of calcium oxalate crystals. If consumed, it can have fatal consequences that can even lead to death.
- This plant grows 1 to 2 feet tall based on where it is grown. However, it grows longer in width, about 6 to 8 feet.
- Philodendrons perform better in temperate environments that are not freezing. It has to remain in warm places, even away from air conditioners.
- It is fairly resistant to drought. Even if you don’t water it for about two days, it would still grow well.
- The Burle Marx Fantasy is a low-maintenance plant that requires less effort, money, and even time commitment to keep it healthy.
Tips to Grow and Care Burle Marx Fantasy
There are sure tips that you need to know about to grow your plant healthily. These tips will help you get excellent results from your plant.
Surely, every plant needs water to grow properly. Make sure to water them regularly, especially every week. In cases when the weather is dry, you can increase the frequency. However, you must keep the plant moist; just make sure soil’s top is a little dry before you water it again.
The best type of soil to use when growing this Philodendron is organic soil rich in nutrients. Ensure that the soil remains slightly moist to avoid too much water.
Unlike other plants, the Burle Marx Fantasy requires little sunlight to grow effectively. Always filter the sunlight because the leaves are quite fragile, and they can burn easily under the hot sun. You can always keep the plant behind curtains or use a shade cloth to avoid direct sunlight.
Always keep the temperature between 18 degrees Celsius and 30 degrees Celsius, be careful not to let it drop below that range. The soil temperature should be the same as the air’s to ensure effective growth.
To keep the plant in high humidity, you must spray it regularly. When it is summer or spring, make sure to moisturize it daily. However, in winter, you go as long as 2-3 days before moisturizing it. If dust accumulates on the plant’s leaves, gas exchange can be difficult. Make sure to shower it consistently.
This Philodendron plant thrives on fertilizers like rotted tree foliage, animal waste, rainwater, and other nutrients. Feed your plant with fertilizers with equal phosphorus, nitrogen, and potassium. Keep the concentration less than 20%; reduce the concentration if you feed your houseplant regularly.
When you’re planning to propagate the Burle Marx Fantasy plant, make sure to do so around spring or summertime. Once you can cut the stem properly and grow it, you will see the desired results. Here’s a complete guide on how to propagate the Burle Marx Fantasy.
- Get sharp scissors or knives to cut about 3 to 4 inches from a fully grown Philodendron Burle Marx Fantasy.
- After cutting, keep it in a jar or pot filled with water, and leave it to root for some days.
- If the cut end starts to root, take the cutting and place it in a separate pot.
- You can just keep the cut part in damp soil and watch it grow in other cases.
- Keep watering the plant regularly, and let it access sunlight and proper temperatures. If you want it to grow swiftly, you can fadd some fertilizer.
- Also, you can add some vitamins to your plant in a diluted form. Another ingredient you can use to gain good health for your plant is sphagnum moss.
Note: After cutting, plant the cutting and water it frequently; you should do this within 7 days. Within 2-3 weeks, the roots would start getting visible. After about 2-4 months, the roots would have grown properly, and then you can change the environment into a more appropriate one.
If you follow all these tips, you would certainly grow, care and propagate your houseplant with ease. Congratulations!
The Philodendron Burle Marx Fantasy plant is an interesting plant that you can include in your plant collection. However, you must be careful where you place this plant especially in a house full of kids and pets because it is toxic. Also, carefully adhere to every tip offered in this article, if you want to succeed at planting, you have to stick to the book.